Tuesday, January 16

Corporate Gift Giving

It has been interesting watching the recent exchange of views over the International Academy of Mediators list serve on the ethics of receipt of Christmas gifts by mediators sent by grateful law firms.

Some thought it was fine, others thought items should be sent back, or at the very least disclosed. Still others said it depended if it was a bottle of wine or front row tickets to the Boston Celtics.

I have to say, my problem was not an overwhelming flood of pre Christmas goodies.

But it did make me question the wisdom of my now annual gift giving to lawyers from a mediator grateful to have made it through another year with bread on the table.

Over the last 3 years I have sent a Christmas mediation tip attached to a matching present.

I will leave you to figure out which card goes with what item;

What is the ethics of this?


No comments: