Thursday, April 10

Dreaming? Or living the dream?

"Hi Mr Sharp, I was given your name to call. I was wondering if you ah... had time to meet up... ah, just wanting to pick your brains about starting out as a mediator - coffee's on me... "

Well, to save us all some time and money, can I just get this off my chest.

And I'm sorry, there's no easy way to say it - forget about a meticulously planned start to a bold new career - forget about a paint by numbers approach - just get out there and do it, do the hard yards, make the contacts, stumble like the rest of us and maybe, just maybe you'll make it.

Heck, I've been at it for 10 years and I still don't know if I will.

And before we meet, please read these short think-pieces from those who have gone before;

1. Starting a Mediation Practice (Geoff Sharp)
2. How to Start a Mediation Practice (Vickie Pynchon)
3. How to start (and not start) a mediation practice (Diane Levin)
4. How I Started My Mediation Practice Part 1 & Part 2 (Dr Tammy Lenski)
5. 30 Top Mediators Share Secrets to Building a Successful Practice (Jeff Krivis and friends from the International Academy of Mediators)

No comments: